Here are our tips for keeping your car in the garage and your mess out.
1. Maximize Vertical Space.
This is essential to get the clutter off the floor. Some ideas for going vertical include:
- Build a hanging shelf that comes down from the ceiling
- Put bikes on a pulley system
- Line the walls with shelving
2. Be Smart About Your Storage Containers.
Store items in containers that are moveable, versatile and make the most sense for your needs. Make each storage container easy to take down, use and then replace, like:
- A laundry basket for balls that moves and rolls out of the garage
- A movable rack or bin to store things like chalk, jump ropes or pool gear
3. Create a Workspace.
People think workbenches are only for people who are “handy.” Even if you aren’t the
type to spend your Saturday in the garage sawing things in half, a workspace is a
great way to keep all your tools in order, as well as have a space for quick DIY projects. Speaking of DIY, here are a few DIY tips for your workbench:
Speaking of DIY, here are a few DIY tips for your workbench:
- Use old gum tins for screws.
- Store any tubes (like glue or caulk) with tape and on your pegboard.
- Don’t display all your tools if you don’t regularly use them. Build a rolling tool cart that you can put away, or use containers on shelves.
- Make sure you have containers for things that need to leave the space. Have a small hamper for towels, have a trash can, use an old coffee tin or paint can as a recycle bin for batteries.
4. Don’t Bring Clutter Back Into the House!
Once the garage is clean and organized, keep it that way! Make an area for your family to leave outside what they don’t bring into the house.
- An idea we love is giving each family member a locker. Your kids can leave their messy soccer shoes, or your husband can keep his work apron and paint shirt here, or you can store your gardening gloves and hat. Think of this space as an organized junk drawer for the garage.